Tips And Traps For Separation
It is always advisable to watch for signs that may appear early on in the relationship or separation. For specific information on the Tips and Traps for Separation, please contact a Brisbane Family Lawyer at Family Law on 1800 217 217.
Check out these tips and traps for separation for Australian Family Law:
- Be aware of your partner’s intentions and emotions.
- Seek advice to deal with your partner’s needs and – emotional hot spots.
- your financial resources to minimise the impact of separation.
- Close all joint bank accounts as soon as possible and set up an account of your own.
- Commence negotiations and try to resolve financial issues before goodwill dries up. Work something out while communication is possible, don’t leave it too late.
Leaving the family home
- Seek legal advice and counselling before leaving the home
- Take personal belongings, documents and other items you may need when leaving.
Later communication with your partner
- Keep a diary noting all events, phone calls and discussions regarding your financial situation and negotiations or decisions that result upon separation.
- Remain calm during all discussions with your partner.
- You need to protect yourself against your partner bringing a Domestic Violence Order against you.
- Keep the lines of communication between yourself and partner open, amicable and civil wherever possible.
Legal considerations regarding agreements
- Verbal agreements in relation to property or other issues cannot be enforced if either you or your partner do not uphold your respective sides of the agreement.
- Agreements may only be enforced if:
- Consent Orders or other Orders are issued by the Court; or
- you and your partner enter into a binding financial agreement
Do you agree with this? Are there any other tips and traps for separation you believe should be considered? Make a comment.