It is always advisable to watch for signs that may appear early on in the relationship or separation. For specific information on the Tips and Traps for Separation, please contact a Brisbane Family Lawyer at Family Law on 1800 217 217.
Check out these tips and traps for separation for Australian Family Law:
- Be aware of your partner’s intentions and emotions.
- Seek advice to deal with your partner’s needs and – emotional hot spots.
- your financial resources to minimise the impact of separation.
- Close all joint bank accounts as soon as possible and set up an account of your own.
- Commence negotiations and try to resolve financial issues before goodwill dries up. Work something out while communication is possible, don’t leave it too late.
Leaving the family home
- Seek legal advice and counselling before leaving the home
- Take personal belongings, documents and other items you may need when leaving.
Later communication with your partner
- Keep a diary noting all events, phone calls and discussions regarding your financial situation and negotiations or decisions that result upon separation.
- Remain calm during all discussions with your partner.
- You need to protect yourself against your partner bringing a Domestic Violence Order against you.
- Keep the lines of communication between yourself and partner open, amicable and civil wherever possible.
Legal considerations regarding agreements
- Verbal agreements in relation to property or other issues cannot be enforced if either you or your partner do not uphold your respective sides of the agreement.
- Agreements may only be enforced if:
- Consent Orders or other Orders are issued by the Court; or
- you and your partner enter into a binding financial agreement
Do you agree with this? Are there any other tips and traps for separation you believe should be considered? Make a comment.